<span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">tv</span>

Just bought a sat plus set up but I think we may have made a mistake with the dish. We bought one on a stand. Would I be better to buy one on a tripod or is there a better way to say fix t to the caravan. Would like some ideas about if you can fix the dish to the rear ofthe van to help with storage. Any ideas would be great as we will be away at grand final time which is not good without a tellie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:48

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:48
Hi
I have a SatPlus dish and tridod. The dish has a removable arm for the lnb.
My dish travels on a bracket in front of the gas bottles on the A-bar, and the removable arm and cable loose in the van or cruiser and the tripod in a pvc tube under the van. I personally wouldn't have a dish mouted to the van, as the van location when camped, quite often does not give clear view to the satelite due to trees etc. We have three lengths of coax cable, 3m, 6m and 10m, depending on the length required to get the dish to see a clear view of the satellite. Quite often we have used all three together, to get the dish to a location of clear satellite view.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 462215

Follow Up By: Racey - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:33

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:33
I agree with Neil, a separate tripod is best to get a clear view of the Sat.

Cheers

Jon
FollowupID: 736034

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42
Hi, we had one on a tripod and thought it was a bit cumbersone as it was another thing to store. We made some mods and now have the dish fixed on the back of the van, but it can also be used on the front using the A frame.

On the rear - we welded a small piece of 55mm square tube to the spare wheel carrier, then went to an exhaust place and purchased around 6 feet of 50mm exhaust pipe which they bent (with an S bend) according to our requirements. The 50mm exhaust pipe suits the brackets on our sat dish. So the dish is attached to the exhaust pipe which slides through the square tubing and is held on with two screws and wing nuts. We just turn the dish around to the appropriate direction if the signal comes from the rear. For travelling, the dish lives on the rear of the van.

However, for signal which comes from the front - we remove the dish and the exhaust pipe from the rear, carry it around to the A Frame and slide it in to where the jockey wheel mount is and leave it there and just turn the dish in the appropriate direction. We don't use the jockey wheel anymore as we have a trailamate jack.

If photos would help what I've tried to explain please let me know.

AnswerID: 462232

Follow Up By: Pkwandy - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 21:24

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 21:24
Thanks heaps, some great ideas. I have bought a separate dish and tripod now and would love to see your photos on how you have set the rear up especially.
FollowupID: 736180

Follow Up By: i'machocoholic - Saturday, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:50

Saturday, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:50
No problems about pictures, just up cape York now back to cairns in a couple of weeks, will take photos then.

By the way, we have been on the road for nine months and whether its just been luck, but we haven't needed a tripod yet.

FollowupID: 736289

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:13

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:13
You need a tripod as fixing it to the van will limit your coverage in a lot of situations - trees, other vans etc.
I removed the spare tyre cover at the rear of the caravan.
To the spare I mounted a little plate with four 1/4 studs to match the disk.
The TV disk is now the spare wheel cover.
I chuck the tripod in the boot.
AnswerID: 462236

Reply By: snoopyone - Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:21

Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:21
Agree with the tripod users.

At 80 mile beach we had to put the dish at the far end of the site behind us to get a clear view of the satellite.

Needed all of our 20 metres of cable.

Spent an hour in front of the van but trees stopped the signal.

At Tennant Creek a flash mothome with an autotune dish on the roof came in and the guy came over and said how did I get a signal and he couldnt.

What did he need to do.

I suggested a chainsaw may help as he was in the middle of a row of trees.

We just moved the tripod out the end of the row and was fine.

Also the guy behind us couldnt get a signal with his 600mm dish yet our 790 picked it up anywhere.
AnswerID: 462388

Sponsored Links